STAR Re-Application Process
A critical deadline is approaching for New York State property owners. Very soon, more than 2.6 million New Yorkers who receive the School Tax Relief exemption will need to re-apply as part of the state's efforts to combat fraud within the system.
This week, the State Department of Taxation and Finance began mailing letters to homeowners, providing instructions on how to reapply for the STAR Program. If you currently receive the STAR exemption from your school taxes, you must re-apply to continue receiving the exemption in 2014 and beyond. Homeowners will only need to go through the re-application process one time. This does not impact seniors in the enhanced STAR program because they are required to register every year.
The deadline to re-apply for the STAR program is December 31.
Letters should be arriving in mailboxes soon. However, homeowners may apply online before they receive their letter by visiting www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star13/default.htm. Homeowners can also re-apply by telephone by calling (518) 457-2036, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
To re-apply, homeowners will need to:
· Provide their STAR code (contained in the letter, or available online by using the STAR code lookup);
· Provide names and social security numbers of all owners of the property and spouses;
· Verify that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners;
· Verify that the combined income of the homeowners and spouses does not exceed $500,000; and
· Verify that no resident owner received a residency-based tax benefit from another state.
Millions of New Yorkers rely on this important tax-relief program, so I encourage you to act quickly, before the December 31 deadline approaches. For additional information, please visit the Department of Taxation and Finance website or contact my office.