Shouldn't saving be easier? Well now it is. Our free Change Jar service allows you to build your savings each time you make a debit card purchase.
Simply choose whether you'd like to have your purchases round up to the nearest $1, $5, or $10 increment. The difference between your purchase and the increment of your choice will then be debited from your checking and transferred to savings. See? Saving can be easy!
- Free to all Pathfinder Bank customers
- Available to customers who use a debit card
- Save money with each debit card swipe
- Transactions round up to the nearest $1, $5, or $10 increment
- Difference is transferred to your savings each night
- Maintain current spending habits while saving
- Applies to both PIN-based and signature-based transactions
- Funds are not transferred if it will cause your checking to be overdrawn
- How It Works
Use your debit card to make a purchase for anything. Every purchase amount rounds up to the nearest $1, $5, or $10 — whatever increment you choose. The difference between the purchase you made and the increment amount is then debited from your checking account. That amount is then placed into your savings.
1. You sign up for Change Jar and ask that your debit card purchases be rounded up to the nearest $1 increment.
2. Use your debit card for anything — a retail purchase, paying a bill, making an automatic payment, or anything else.
3. You make a purchase for $12.32. The nearest $1 increment is $13.
4. Your checking account is debited for the purchase of $12.32, and a second debit for $0.68 is made.
5. The $0.68 is transferred to your savings account by the end of the business day
If the $5 increment is selected:
The $12.32 will process, and the second debit that will be transferred to the savings account will be for $2.68, bringing the total debit amount to $15.
If the $10 increment is selected:
The $12.32 will process, and the second debit that will be transferred to the savings accounts will be for $7.68, bringing the total debit amount to $20.